Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?
This is the sign that is over the front door of Aileen's and my house, our home, going OUT. Meaning that when someone leaves our house they are going into the ACTUAL Mental Ward.

I've always felt that way. When it is considered how much ugliness and killing and hatred there is in the world today, it actually makes perfect sense that this sign is over the door going out of the house.

Because that's where the real mental ward is.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Eyes Have It

Just a quick note. Whatever was in my right eye did finally clear out. But when I was outside yesterday morning, in the heat and direct sunlight for about 3 hours. I was not wearing a hat, which I normally do. And while the temperature was only about 75 degrees. What happened was that I ended up with a slight reaction to the heat, because my head wasn’t covered. And, while I had sun screen on my arms. I did not have any on my face or my neck. And without the hat that I normally wear. My neck and face had a slight reaction to the direct sunlight and the heat. It wasn’t like sunburn. More like the skin tightened up and dried out. This I discovered when I took a shower last night to flush out my eye and just do a general wash off.

I actually wrote about this condition earlier this year, off a Centers For Disease Control memo, regarding direct sunlight this summer.

In any event, I ended up with a bit of fatigue after my shower. So I slept through the night. Because I’m still feeling a bit “off”. I’m going to forego my morning calisthenics until tomorrow. Giving my body a day to regenerate. The skin on my face actually became dry and tightened up to the point where I have been using a bit of lotion to bring it back to normal.

As I said. It wasn’t that hot. But, like the CDC report from earlier this year  talked about. Direct sunlight this summer, in the northern hemisphere is going to be a bit more direct, and intense. So it is advisable that when going out for any length of time, you wear something on your head. And that  you definitely use sun screen. The report explained that the CDC was predicting a spike in cases of various types of Melanoma Skin Cancer to show up later this year, in the fall, due to the increased intensity of the sunlight this summer.

I actually have a hat with a broad brim that I wear, normally, when I go out to work in the yard. why I didn’t wear it yesterday is sort of a mystery. But because of the reaction my body is having. I thought I would pass this info along.

So, today, along with those household chores of laundry and mopping the floor, (including the back room off the kitchen, where the cats hang out, which I explained looks sort of like Dante’s Inferno). I’ll be catching up on my petitions and email. Plus I will begin to present some of the news stories that I have been collecting, that I feel might be of interest.

I surmise that “not” going out with a hat yesterday has a good side to it all. Because of my reaction this morning. I’m now definitely “not” going to go out without wearing a hat.

It’s funny. When you are in your younger years, like your 20s and 30s. Lots of things tend to “not” bother you  that much. But as you get older. Your body has to work a bit harder doing all sorts of things. So your body then becomes more sensitive to certain environmental factors, and/or elements, than it was when you were younger.

It just never occurred to me that there was nothing really in my right eye. But that it was reacting to the direct sunlight being more intense, along with the heat. But that’s what it seems to be.

So, if you are going outside this summer, and you live in the northern hemisphere. My advice is for you to keep you head covered. And wear sun screen. Plus, make sure you drink plenty of fluids. I don’t for a minute think that I got any kind of heat stroke or anything like that. But I am finding that the sunlight, and the heat, coupled with my not wearing sun screen on my face and neck, is the cause for some of what I am experiencing this morning.

So, just be careful when you go outside this summer. Heat stroke and heat prostration is nothing to laugh at. And it can happen without you being aware that it’s happening. The last  thing you want when you are working on your garden or yard is to keel over and get sick. That truly takes all the fun out of going out. So be careful.

Thanks for reading.