Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?
This is the sign that is over the front door of Aileen's and my house, our home, going OUT. Meaning that when someone leaves our house they are going into the ACTUAL Mental Ward.

I've always felt that way. When it is considered how much ugliness and killing and hatred there is in the world today, it actually makes perfect sense that this sign is over the door going out of the house.

Because that's where the real mental ward is.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Do You Have a Favorite Kid? You Should Read This | Team Mom - Yahoo! Shine

Do You Have a Favorite Kid? You Should Read This | Team Mom - Yahoo! Shine

This story is actually quite applicable to my own personal experience.  My memories of my early childhood have been corrected by various members of the Maschke family.  Because when I was growing up, my parents were more concerned about giving us toys than they were with any kind of genuine physical touching or emotions.  For example, my parents would buy my sister and I lots of toys.  And then six months later, my parents, well, my mother, would decide that since I was not playing with all the toys they had given me that she would throw out most of the toys.  It was a way I guess of punishing the for something that I wasn't even aware of.  As if I was supposed to play with every single toy they gave me when all I really wanted was physical touching and emotions.

The same thing was not done to my sister.  And in point of fact, my mother had a real complaint about me complaining that I always wanted to be picked up, or held.  She always said, I just wanted to be held to much.

So consequently I grew up thinking I really was some very spoiled child when in fact, according to members of the Maschke family.  It was my sister who was more along those lines than myself.  But I don't want to say that in any way that would make my sister feel self-conscious for anything of her past.  Like I don't want to feel self-conscious about my own.  But the reality is, that my parents were extremely wealthy and extremely alcoholic and did not really have the kind of parenting skills that were necessary to relate to having two small children.

My sister actually went through a small section of time.  At one point when we were still living at home.  Where she flirted with her alcoholism.

According to all reports I have experienced over the years I was just the opposite of a spoiled child.  Because I was always more concerned with others and myself.  Of course some of that has to have had come from my mother's behavior in my father's behavior where they were basically always complaining about the cost of things.  That was actually one of the reasons why my mother throughout almost all of my toys every six months because she kept complaining that it was a waste of money.  Because I wasn't playing with every single toy all the time.

And then of course, my mother had a practice of using a steel back scratcher on me by striking me on my back and my arms and legs usually on the average of once or twice a week.  But again, her complaint was that I always needed to be touched.  Too often or held too much.

So guess the point of my explaining this regarding this article is that it might be considered that I could be a living example of what this article is actually talking about.

Because over the years, my mother actually tried to go overboard.  Because of how she had treated me when I was younger.  For example, in order to get me to stop sucking my thumb my mother had a barbed wire appliance put into the roof of my mouth.  So that if I stuck my thumb into my mouth to suck my thumb and pulled my thumb out my entire palm of my hand would end up bleeding.  Because my thumb would have cuts on it from sticking it into my mouth.

After I had to go to the hospital with a second time.  The doctor basically told my mother that if he saw me again he would have to report the matter to the Department of Health.  So the barbed wire appliance was taken out of my mouth.  But by that time it had been there for over a year.  And as a result I ended up with a slight cleft palate.  Which of course resulted in my speech having a slight lisp when I would talk.  Which is true to this day.

Again the reason I am explaining this is because it is pertinent specifically to I'll I was actually treated.  So after that event with the appliance in my mouth my mother and father tried to overcompensate by sending me on trips around the country to different family members for visits.  But the only thing that did was to give me a comparison of how other adults related to children as compared to how I was being treated by my mother and father.  And that of course made me further realized that my mother and father were just not really the type of people due to their alcoholism that really should have been raising children.  But that is another story.