Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?
This is the sign that is over the front door of Aileen's and my house, our home, going OUT. Meaning that when someone leaves our house they are going into the ACTUAL Mental Ward.

I've always felt that way. When it is considered how much ugliness and killing and hatred there is in the world today, it actually makes perfect sense that this sign is over the door going out of the house.

Because that's where the real mental ward is.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Caregiver Burnout Symptoms Slideshow: Handling Dementia, Chores, Finding Help

Caregiver Burnout Symptoms Slideshow: Handling Dementia, Chores, Finding Help

I'm not ever going to say under any circumstances that I am an expert at caregiving.  Because I'm not.  I have been a caregiver to nine different cancer patients all the way to the moment of their death.  And of course the last one that I was a caregiver to was my own wife my darling Aileen.  But I am not an expert.  But I am someone who understands the dynamics of caregiving.  And this article is absolutely important and extremely timely.  We have a number of people in this country millions and millions of people in this country.  In the United States alone.  Who are suffering so badly that they do need some form of caregiving.  And the reality is that a lot of times the caregiver does in fact forget to take care of themselves.  And that can be a very bad mistake.

During the eight months I was a caregiver for my darling Aileen.  I never slept more than 15 min. during any 24 hours.  But I wasn't able to.  There were so many things going on all the time that needed my attention that I had to literally grabbed sleep whenever I could.  And yes I did in fact suffer burnout at one point.  Where they literally had to take Aileen out of the home and give me a chance to catch up on some sleep.  But that did not happen until almost the fifth month of my taking care of my darling Aileen.  And then it was only for about one week.

The toughest part of being a caregiver to my darling Aileen is what I have had to go through after she died.  Because I was prepared to be able to take care of her.  Since I am in fact first aid certified.  I knew what to do medically.  I knew what to do for her, physically and psychologically to prepare her for those final moments.  I knew exactly what to do.  What I did not know how to do was how to live without her.


I am very grateful to the wonderful people at web M.D. for these amazing articles that they put out.  Because they do help all of us a tremendous amount to know a lot more about what is going on with our bodies and our lives.  And this article is a prime example of that.

There are also people who read my articles who are other caregivers and they will tell you the same thing I'm telling you.  There is no vested interest here at all.  Because when you are in fact a caregiver to someone else you become their rail.  You are the rail that they ride upon in order to get to that final place where they can step over onto the other side.  You are the one who gets them there.  You are the one that carries them on the back of your own soul to make sure that they have the dignity before death that they deserve.

So this article is tremendously important.  And I sincerely hope that those of you who are caregivers right now will really take a moment to.  Please read this article.

Thank you so very much for listening.